Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation
Hy-Vee, Inc. is an associate member of the The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation (HWCF), which is a CEO-led organization with more than 80 of the nation's retailers, food and beverage manufacturers, sporting goods, insurance, as well as non-profit organizations and trade associations that launched a national, mult-year effort to help reduce obesity - especially childhood obesity by 2015. HWCF wants to help consumers lead healthier lives by making enery balance - calories in balanced with calories out - daily habit.
The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation (HWCF) – in partnership with Discovery Education, Meredith National Media Group (including Parents Magazine), and the National Business Group on Health – has launched three new websites dedicated to countering obesity and encouraging healthier living, healthier eating and physical activity.
Discovery Education, Meredith and National Business Group on Health are the best positioned in their fields to provide information about obesity and ways to counter it to tens of millions of Americans, including parents, teachers and business people – based on the three organization’s credibility, expertise and reach.
This initiative is part of a comprehensive HWCF strategy aimed at reaching people with information about obesity and how to counter it – a strategy that includes HWCF partnerships with institutions and organizations that have built relationships with millions of Americans and earned their confidence.
All 4 of these websites are free, and accessible to all.
Together Counts Website – www.togethercounts.com
- Together Counts is a nationwide program we’re sponsoring to inspire active and healthy living. The idea is to get families and community members – starting with you – to take a simple pledge: Eat at least 1 meal and do at least 1 activity together every week.
- Together Counts mission is to give people across the country simple and fun ways to get active and healthy together; to create a lively community where teams can unite for their common good, and share their wins with one another.
HWCF/Discovery Website – www.energybalance101.com
- Leverages Discovery Education’s communications expertise, reach, and demonstrated ability to provide educators with useful tools to help their students.
- Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) revolutionized television with Discovery Channel and is now transforming classrooms through Discovery Education.
- Powered by the number one nonfiction media company in the world, Discovery Education (www.discoveryeducation.com) combines scientifically proven, standards-based digital media and a dynamic user community to empower teachers to improve student achievement.
- Already, more than half of all U.S. schools access Discovery Education digital services.
- Discovery uses curriculum specialists to help develop and to review curriculum content to ensure its quality and appropriateness for classroom use.
- In addition to working with curriculum experts, Discovery uses expert professionals in the field of health, including dieticians.
The HWCF/Meredith web program – www.parents.com/hwcf
- Builds on Meredith National Media Group’s proven ability to reach women at every life stage, from young adults and new parents to established families and empty nesters. Meredith engages the largest audience of women in America.
- Meredith brands are invited into homes every day, delivering information and inspiration about what matters most to women: home, health, family, and personal development.
- Meredith’s well-known national brands include Better Homes and Gardens, Parents, Ladies' Home Journal, Family Circle, American Baby, Fitness and More – with local television brands in fast-growing markets.
- Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms – including print, television, online, mobile and video – to give consumers content they desire and to deliver the messages of its marketing partners.
- Each month, approximately 15 million unique users rely on the Meredith Women’s Network and its powerful online brands, including Parents.com.
- Meredith Hispanic Ventures reaches 1 in 4 Hispanic women in America.
The HWCF/National Business Group on Health website – www.YourWellnessAdvantage.com
- Promotes a healthier workplace culture and helps employees pursue a healthier lifestyle.
- National Business Group on Health is the nation's only non-profit, membership organization of large employers devoted exclusively to finding innovative and forward-thinking solutions to their most important health care and related benefits issues.
- The Business Group identifies and shares best practices in health benefits, disability, health and productivity, related paid time off and work/life balance issues. Business Group members provide health coverage for more than 50 million U.S. workers, retirees and their families.
- YourWellnessAdvantage.com actively motivates employers to make it a priority to encourage health consciousness in their workplaces and healthier living among their employees, with a strong focus on reducing obesity.