5 Reasons to eat strawberries
- One serving is about 8 strawberries (or one cup) and has only 45 calories, 3 grams fiber and more vitamin C than an orange.
- Provides essential nutrients that may help control high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Antioxidants found in strawberries may help slow or prevent age-related decline in cognitive function.
- Are one of the top 10 superfoods for a diabetes meal, according to the American Diabetes Association
- Contain ellagic acid which may reduce the growth and spread of certain cancers.
Strawberry and Blue Cheese Bruschetta
Serves 12 (1 each).
Active time: 20 minutes | Total: 20 minutes
All you need:
- 12 medium strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tsp Hy-Vee sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) Hy-Vee reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 to 2 tsp water, if needed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon Hy-Vee freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices whole-grain baguette (1/4 inch thick), warmed or toasted
All you do:
- Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium bowl and let stand while you make the cheese spread.
- Combine cream cheese and blue cheese in a small bowl using a fork. Add water, if necessary, for a thick but spreadable consistency. Stir in 1 tablespoon chives and pepper.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture on each piece of baguette. Top with the sliced berries. Garnish with a sprinkle of chives, if desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 66 calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g protein.
Source: adapted from Eating Well, Inc.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.