This holiday season, there’s a new beef roast for holiday celebrations. The Kansas City Strip Petite Roast makes quite an impressive holiday meal, yet is so simple to prepare that it will surely become a holiday meal tradition.
Lean: The Kansas City Strip Petite Roast comes from the beef top loin (where T-bone steak comes from). The top loin meets the USDA guidelines for a “lean” cut of meat. A cooked three-ounce serving of the new roast has only 146 calories and 6 grams of fat!
Protein: Beef is an excellent source of lean protein. New research suggests high-quality protein has health benefits such as weight loss and maintenance, retaining of muscle mass as we age and the possible lowering of disease risk. With all the holiday temptations, eating lean protein at meals is a great strategy to help control hunger and cravings.
Easy Prep: The Kansas City Strip Petite Roast is a 1.5- to 2.5-pound roast. Because the roast is smaller than a typical roast, it cooks in less time, typically around an hour. It is also ready-to-cook, no trimming needed. All you do is season, if desired, and cook.
Elegant Entre´e: Don’t let the ease of prep and cooking fool you. Family and friends will be impressed with the presentation of the new roast for holiday menus. In general, a boneless roast will serve three to four people for each pound of beef.
Cooking Guidelines for the Kansas City Strip Petite Roast:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place roast on rack in roasting pan, fat side up. Do not cover or add water.
- Season with favorite beef roast seasoning, such as Lawry’s seasoned salt or kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Oven roast in oven for 55 to 75 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness; to an internal temperature of 135 degrees for medium-rare or 150 degrees for medium doneness.
- Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
For more information or recipes for the Kansas City Strip Petite Roast, talk to a Hy-Vee dietitian or to a Hy-Vee meat department employee.