Serve this lightning-quick meal with warm rolls and settle in for for the alphabet game.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free less-sodium chicken broth (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups bite-size chunks rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried alphabet pasta
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the broth, chicken, vegetables, tomatoes, water, and bay leaves to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Turn the heat to low, stir in the pasta, and simmer, covered, until the pasta is tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the onions and add salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue by Carla Fitzgerald Williams. Copyright © 2003 Carla Fitzgerald Williams. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Cooking Tip: Italian-style diced tomatoes, seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano save a measuring step.
Calories from Fat 86 (17%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 70g
(45%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.