Cuban Chicken with Rice
Beer helps to tenderize the drumsticks while infusing them with moisture.
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks (about 8 - 10)
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock, warmed
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 can (12 oz) beer
- 1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimentos, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Season drumsticks with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. In large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add chicken to pan and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add to pan onion, garlic and green pepper; sauté 5 minutes over medium high heat. Add tomato sauce, white wine and warm chicken stock. Add remaining teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring gently. Add beer.
- Cover pan and place in preheated oven. Bake 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven; stir in beer and return to oven. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with knife, about 5 minutes more. Add pimentos and peas; stir well to blend. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 185 (19%)
(32%)Total Fat 21g
(23%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 93g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.