Country Captain Chicken
Garam masala, curry powder, and fresh grated ginger give the chicken wonderful warming qualities.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 cup cold tap water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tbls curry powder
- 1 tbls garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tbls fresh grated ginger
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 350° F. Place water in small saucepan and boil over high heat. Place raisins in small bowl; pour enough boiling water over just to cover raisins. Let stand. In another small bowl, combine curry powder, garam masala, salt and pepper. Reserve.
- In large, oven-proof skillet, cook bacon pieces over medium heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon; place on paper towels and drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat in skillet. Add chicken to skillet and brown over medium-high heat, turning. (Add excess bacon fat if pan becomes too dry.) Remove chicken thighs to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add carrots, bell peppers, onion and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until lightly softened. Add tomatoes, spice mixture, ginger, and raisins with the water. Simmer sauce to thicken, about 8 minutes. Place chicken thighs in sauce, skin-up. Tent skillet loosely with foil; transfer to middle rack of oven. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil from skillet; cook the further thicken sauce, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from oven. Spoon rice on serving platter; top with chicken thighs and then with tomato sauce. Garnish with bacon pieces, almonds and parsley.
Calories from Fat 256 (48%)
(45%)Total Fat 29g
(34%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 48g
(27%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.