Confetti Clam Soup
Chase away the winter blues with this colorful bowl of omega-3-rich soup!
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 large red and/or yellow bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz new potatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, well scrubbed
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell peppers, and black pepper.
- Stir well, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the Canadian bacon, garlic, and thyme. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook and stir for 5 minutes, or until all the juices have evaporated.
- Add the broth and potatoes, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and wine (if used), cover, and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a covered medium skillet, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the clams. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the clams open.
- With tongs, transfer the clams to a bowl, discarding those that don't open. Line a fine-mesh strainer with dampened paper towels. Pour the clam broth through the strainer into a glass measure, leaving any sand behind. Add the broth to the soup. Reheat if necessary.
- Remove the clams from their shells and chop coarsely. Add the clams to the soup, reheat briefly, and ladle into bowls.
Copyright © 2005 by Rodale Inc.
Calories from Fat 46 (29%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 18g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.