Chilled Salmon Salad with Orange-Citrus Onions
The perfect salmon dish for a hot summer's evening—chilled salmon fillets topped with citrus marinated onions are served over mixed greens.
- 4 fresh salmon fillets
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or 1/4 cup each lemon juice and water)
- Orange-Citrus Onions3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp grated lime peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 quart mixed, dark leafy salad greens
- Fresh dill sprigs or Italian parsley
- Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Portion red onions onto salmon fillets and press on evenly with back of spoon.
- Pour wine into 10-inch skillet and heat until it bubbles at the edges. Set salmon in wine, cover and return liquid to a gentle boil.
- Let cook gently without turning for 6 or 7 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through and topping is rosy (check doneness by poking the tip of a sharp knife into the thickest part of one fillet and check that the inside color has paled). Chill fish and liquid.
- Orange-Citrus OnionsHeat oil in a large skillet, add yellow onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until they are soft and sweet.
- Remove from heat and mix in orange peel, lime peel, and orange juice. Cover and chill.
- To serve, portion lettuce onto plates, top with salmon fillets. Lift orange-onions from liquid with slotted spoon or fork and top salmon. Spoon juice from onions over salmon and lettuce. Garnish with dill.
Calories from Fat 152 (40%)
(26%)Total Fat 17g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.