Black Mission Fig and Prosciutto Pizza
Cut this tasty pizza into small squares and serve as an appetizer alongside chilled white wine.
- Caramelized Shallots2 Tbs butter
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 Tbs molasses
- 2 Tbs sherry vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Black Mission Fig and Prosciutto Pizza Prepared dough for two, small, 8-inch pizzas
- 8 oz fresh California Mission figs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 oz fresh California Calimyrna figs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup caramelized shallots (recipe below)
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 10 slices prosciutto
- 1 Tbs grated or shaved Parmesan
- Sprigs of arugula (garnish)
- For Caramelized Shallots, heat butter in large saucepan and cook shallots until caramelized. Stir in molasses and vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and stir until all liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- For Pizza, pre-heat pizza stone or heavy baking pan in 500°F oven for 30 minutes or more.
- Meanwhile, spread figs on sheet pan or tray; drizzle with olive oil and honey, then season with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Then, on 12x12-inch piece of parchment paper with lightly floured rolling pin, roll pizza dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush generously with olive oil and spread Caramelized Shallots all over. Arrange sliced figs about 1/2 inch apart on top of shallots and season lightly with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle goat cheese evenly over all.
- Transfer pizza to pre-heated stone and bake, 10 to 15 minutes at 500°F or until cheese and edge of crust are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cutting board; let stand and cool slightly. Then, cut into wedges, and garnish with sliced prosciutto, Parmesan, and arugula.
Calories from Fat 81 (16%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(23%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 98g
(10%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.