Black Bean, Couscous, and Pepper Salad
This is a simple salad using quick-cooking couscous. It can be made the night before and refrigerated until needed. The flavor will improve with age.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1/4 lb lean ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbs olive oil and vinegar dressing
- several drops hot pepper sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- several lettuce leaves (optional)
- Bring water and olive oil to a boil. Remove from the heat, add couscous, stir, and cover with a lid. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Place black beans, ham, onion, and red bell pepper in a medium-size bowl. Add the couscous. Drizzle dressing over salad. Add hot pepper sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well. Sprinkle cilantro on top. To serve, arrange lettuce leaves on 2 plates and spoon salad onto the lettuce.
Copyright © 2005 by Linda Gassenheimer
Shopping Suggestion: At the deli counter, ask for the ham to be cut in one thick piece so that it can be easily cut into 1/2-inch cubes or coarsely chopped.
Variation: Parsley can be substituted for the cilantro.
Calories from Fat 85 (22%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 52g
(32%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.