Look over the TLC diet and make a shopping list of your favorite cholesterol-lowering foods.
· For a low-cholesterol diet, toss the butter, trans fat margarines, and polyunsaturated oil. Replace them with canola oil, olive oil, or plant sterol spreads.
· Look for products specifically created for low-cholesterol deits, like Minute Maid HeartWise orange juice and Benecol, Promise, Smart Balance, and Take Control margarines. These foods have been fortified with plant stanols and sterols that help to block the absorption of cholesterol.
· Start your day with oatmeal. Experts agree this is one of the top cholesterol-lowering superfoods.
· Try a cholesterol-free egg substitute instead of whole eggs.
· For a tasty low-cholesterol dish, switch out the cream sauce on your fettuccine for lightly stir-fried vegetables.
· Instead of using butter to keep your pan moist while cooking, use white wine vinegar. It doesn't change the flavor of foods and doesn't add fat -- a key to low-cholesterol cooking!