FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FAIRFIELD, IA – The Fairfield Hy-Vee store opened today in a new 64,000-square-foot building – the fifth location for Hy-Vee in the store’s 60-year history in the community.
The new Fairfield Hy-Vee at the intersection of West Burlington Avenue and South 14th Street is the company’s second store built in accordance with LEED® standards. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high-performance “green” buildings. Hy-Vee intends to seek LEED certification for the new Fairfield store.
The new store brings an additional 125 jobs and an investment of more than $13 million to the Fairfield economy.
Highlights of the new store include a food court featuring Chinese and Italian specialties; a first-aisle HealthMarket offering a wide selection of natural and organic products and foods for specific dietary needs; the services of an on-site dietitian; a pharmacy with drive-up service; an attached wine & spirits store; a Hy-Vee Club Room for meetings, classes and events; and expanded selections of produce, bakery, meat, seafood and frozen food products.
A bit of history: The original Fairfield Hy-Vee opened in 1950, in a former A&P location at 500 West Burlington Avenue, near downtown. Wilson “Bill” Clemons, who later became a Hy-Vee vice president, was the first manager. As the years passed, the store continued to move west – to 1301 West Burlington in 1958, to 2000 West Burlington in 1970, and then immediately next door, to 2100 West Burlington, in 1994. The current relocation reverses the trend and brings the store closer to the center of town, to a site formerly occupied by an Econofoods store and a shopping center.